Just like humans, dogs suffer from a wide range of conditions which affect their health and vitality. As a pet parent, it can be hard to bear seeing your dog suffer from a disease for weeks and even months despite administering over-the-counter medications. Thankfully, researchers have discovered CBD oil and its beneficial properties to dogs. In this article, we will discuss all you need to know about CBD oil for dogs. Keep reading!
Can dogs use CBD Oil?
The answer is an emphatic ‘Yes!’ CBD (fully known as cannabidiol) is a cannabinoid gotten from the cannabis plant and is used for medicinal purposes. CBD is effective due to the presence of an endocannabinoid system in both humans and animals, and this system regulates a plethora of functions including sleep, immune functions, memory, digestion, and many others. So when you give your pet CBD oil, it influences these functions in their body directly since it is just like the naturally occurring cannabinoids in the endocannabinoid system.
Will CBD oil get my dog high?
This is one of the foremost concerns of many dog owners and the answer is a reassuring ‘No.’ CBD is a cannabinoid that offers medicinal properties, and it is different from other cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, especially THC which is the cannabinoid that causes the psychoactive effects. Hence, your dog cannot get high on CBD – not even if you give it an overdose.
Is CBD oil legal?
Yes, CBD oil is legal in all the 50 states of the United States and can be used by both humans and animals alike. It is entirely safe for consumption and has been proven by science to be an effective treatment against a range of diseases.
What are the benefits of CBD oil for dogs?
Here are some of the common benefits of CBD oil for dogs:
- CBD combats pain & inflammation: Many pet parents use CBD oil because of its painkilling properties. These properties interact with your dog’s brain and numb the vanilloid receptor which is responsible for pain and swelling. When this happens, your canine companion will experience relief from pain and inflammation.
- CBD reduces anxiety: Dogs are also susceptible to anxiety which is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Common symptoms include excessive barking, aggression, snarling, etc. Giving your dog CBD can help normalize the chemical imbalance and bring the situation under control.
- CBD stimulates appetite: One of the popular symptoms of diseases is the loss of appetite. If your dog doesn’t want to eat or suddenly starts eating less than before, CBD oil can help restore your pet’s appetite and get him eating.
- CBD accelerates recovery: Dogs spend most of their time running, playing and sniffing, and may get injured from moving around. Is your pet recovering from an injury but it seems to be slower than usual? CBD oil can quicken your dog’s recovery by enhancing blood flow.
- CBD boosts training efforts: Dogs need plenty of exercises to remain strong and healthy, but sometimes, it can be difficult for them to concentrate. You can easily tell that your dog is distracted when he’s barking and snarling at people and things. In such situations, you can help calm your dog’s nerves and restore his focus by giving him CBD oil.
Finally, CBD oil is of great benefit to the dog’s health. However, they must be administered with instructions from the vet doctor.